cpd.typepad.com > CPD Projects From the Friendly Confines

From the Friendly Confines - Wrigley Field

Opened: April 23, 1914
First Cubs game: April 20, 1916
First night game: August 8, 1988 (scheduled), August 9, 1988 (official).

Wrigley Field was built as Weeghman Field in 1914 by Charles Weeghman, owner of the Federal League's Chicago Whales, and when he assumed control of the Cubs in 1916, he immediately moved the club there. By 1927, the park had assumed its current name in honor of new owner William Wrigley, and a second deck had been added, doubling the capacity to near 40,000.

Since then, it has been modernized periodically, but has changed little in appearance or scope. Aside from its lack of lights, Wrigley Field's most distinctive feature has been its winds. Usually strong, when they are blowing out, the tiny park is a pitcher's nightmare, but when they are blowing in, home runs are virtually non-existent. The foul lines are surprisingly deep, but the fences do not curve away from the plate as is the norm. Rather, the power alleys are only 10'-15' deeper, and home runs frequently leave the park completely, landing on either Waveland or Sheffield Avenue behind the tiny bleachers. There is little foul territory, and the field, of course, is natural grass.

All images are © Copyright protected. Images are for editorial or publication purposes. Please contact us for additional information.


7th_inning_stretch_0479
Center_field_view_1847
City_behind_the_foul_pole_0188
Foul_pole_1865
Game_day_1772
Left_field_line_0001
Looking_downtown_0627
Right_field_line_1869
Rooftops_1818
Scoreboard_0626
Skyline_from_wrigley_0183
Terrace_view_0511
Wrigley_from_the_l_0626
Wrigley_lights_0174
Wrigley_marquee_0627