cpd.typepad.com > MKE Mitchell Park Domes

MILWAUKEE - MITCHELL PARK HORTICULTURAL CONSERVATORY

The Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory (The Domes) has been part of the Milwaukee scene since the first conservatory was built in 1898. The original conservatory exhibited flowers in a "greenhouse" setting and served the public until 1955. Because it was determined to be unsafe and impractical to repair, the conservatory was demolished.

A design competition, won by a local architect, produced the plans for the new conservatory. Donald Grieb's winning entry called for three beehive-shaped (not geodesic) glass domes, 140 feet in diameter at the base and 85 feet high, offering 15,000 square feet of growing space for plant display. Each dome would have a distinct climate and exhibit plants in a naturalistic setting. These are the Arid, Tropical, and Floral Show domes.

Construction began in 1959 and proceded in stages. This allowed for the building to be paid in yearly appropriations, thus avoiding the cost of bonding. The total cost was $4.5 million when it was completed in 1967.

All images are © Copyright protected. Images are for editorial or publication purposes. Please contact us for additional information.


9402
9396
9391
9378
2082
2071
2069
2065
6478
6477
6470
6453
6293
6104
6074
6068
6060
6059
6055
6033
9454
9435
9433
9432
8597
8594
8477
8461
4283
4282
4272
4264
4261
4256
4254
4237
4224
4216
4215
4210
4206
4200
7539
7537
7534
7533
7529
7517
7486
7483
»